Monday, July 20, 2009

Why I Love The Gators

I have had a few conversations lately about why I like some sports teams more than others.  For example, why I would like the Miami Heat more than the Florida Marlins or the Gators over any of my favorite teams.  This letter is part of why I love the Gators more than any of them. It is an open letter from David Nelson about some charitable work he and his teammates have been working on lately:

Hello, my name is David Nelson and I will be a senior this upcoming
football season. This summer, my teammates and I have spent numerous
hours “giving back” to the community. We feel good about the work we
have done this far, but we want to do more. We are planning a charity
event on July 31st called the Gator Strongman Competition benefiting six
different charities. I have been chosen to be the captain of the March
of Dimes team.
        
The reason I am writing you is because we need your help. Our main goal
for this event is to raise awareness for the six charities, but for this
to happen we as many people to know about this event as possible. We are
not doing this to promote our team or to show off our good deeds, we
genuinely want to help out those in need and make our community a better
place.

We are trying to use the platform we have to raise awareness for these
six charities. I know we have a large Gator following in Orlando, and I
would love to do an interview about the event, write a letter to the
fans promoting the event and the charities – anything to get the word
out! I thank you for your time and dedication in covering the Florida
program and look forward to hearing from you.

-David Nelson, WR #83

I posted this on my blog to help get the word out, David.  Anything to help out a fellow Gator.

As a side note, I am so pumped about David Nelson's season. He has gone from pretty boy who expected minutes to the hard working leader of the wide receiving corps. I hope his work ethic and attitude rubs off on some of the young ones.

No comments: